One of the most important tools for playing chess is a chess clock. A chess clock is a device that keeps track of the time each player spends making their moves, ensuring that the game progresses at a reasonable pace. When paired with a good chess set, you are in for a professional chess game experience.
When it comes to choosing the best chess clock, there are a few critical factors to consider. The first is the type of clock. There are two main types of chess clocks: analog and digital. Analog clocks have a traditional clock face and require manual winding, while digital clocks are electronic and require batteries. The second factor to consider is the clock’s features. Some clocks have additional features such as delay or increment, which can affect the game’s pace. Finally, the clock’s design and size are also important considerations, as it should be easy to use and transport.
We spent hours researching and testing various chess clocks to identify the best options on the market. Our top picks excel in accuracy, ease of use, and durability. Whether you’re a professional chess player or a casual enthusiast, a high-quality chess clock can enhance your game and make it more enjoyable.
Best Chess Clocks
We understand that finding the right chess clock can be a daunting task, especially if you are new to the game or a seasoned player. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of the best chess clocks on the market to help you make an informed decision. Our team of experts has extensively researched and tested these products to bring you the top picks. Whether you’re looking for a digital or analog clock, a simple or advanced one, we’ve got you covered. So, without further ado, let’s dive into our list of the best chess clocks.
Chess Armory Digital Chess Clock – Portable Timer with Tournament and Bonus Time Features Standard Edition
If you’re looking for a versatile chess clock that’s also portable, the Chess Armory Digital Chess Clock is a great option.
- The bonus time and delay features allow for more complex games.
- The controls are intuitive and easy to use.
- The portable design makes it perfect for on-the-go play.
- The timer settings are retained from the previous game and need to be reset manually.
- The clock only requires a single AA battery, but it’s not included in the package.
- The price is a bit higher compared to other basic chess clocks.
We recently had the chance to use the Chess Armory Digital Chess Clock and were impressed with its performance. The bonus time and delay features make it possible to play more complex games, and the controls are intuitive and easy to use. The clock is also lightweight and portable, making it perfect for travel or playing on-the-go.
One downside we noticed is that the timer settings are retained from the previous game and need to be reset manually. Additionally, the clock requires a single AA battery, but it’s not included in the package. Finally, the price is a bit higher compared to other basic chess clocks.
Overall, if you’re looking for a versatile and portable chess clock, the Chess Armory Digital Chess Clock is definitely worth considering.
If you’re looking for a reliable and easy-to-use chess clock, we recommend the DGT North American Chess Clock and Game Timer.
- Quick and easy to set and program!
- Choose quick-set options for the most popular controls
- Durable and reliable
- Setting the clock for non-standard controls can be a bit of a pain
- More expensive than some other options on the market
- No option to add additional time to a player’s clock
We recently had the chance to try out the DGT North American Chess Clock and Game Timer, and we were thoroughly impressed. Setting up the clock was a breeze, thanks to the quick-set options for the most popular controls. We were able to get started playing in no time at all.
One of the standout features of this clock is its durability. It feels solid and well-built, and we have no doubt that it will last for years to come. The display is clear and easy to read, even from a distance.
While the clock is a bit more expensive than some other options on the market, we feel that it is well worth the investment. It is a reliable and easy-to-use clock that will make your games more enjoyable.
The only downside we found is that setting the clock for non-standard controls can be a bit of a pain. However, once you have it set up the way you want it, it remembers your settings for next time.
Overall, we highly recommend the DGT North American Chess Clock and Game Timer. It’s a great option for both casual and serious players alike.
Fideliums Digital Chess Clock with Bonus and Delay Time Functions – Tournament Features and Easy Portability
If you’re looking for a chess clock that is easy to use and portable, Fideliums Digital Chess Clock is a great choice.
- The setup process is easy and fast
- It has volume capabilities and a mute button for a more pleasant playing experience
- It has professional features, including Bonus and Delay Functions, for a more customized playing experience
- The timer requires 2 AA batteries, which may need to be replaced often
- The plastic material may not be as durable as other options
- The product is recommended for children ages 36 months – 3 years, so it may not be suitable for serious or professional players
We were impressed with how easy it was to set up and use the Fideliums Digital Chess Clock. The volume capabilities and mute button were a nice touch, as it allowed us to adjust the sound to our liking. The professional features, including Bonus and Delay Functions, were also a great addition, as it allowed us to customize our playing experience.
However, we did find that the timer required 2 AA batteries, which may need to be replaced often. Additionally, the plastic material may not be as durable as other options on the market. Finally, the product is recommended for children ages 36 months – 3 years, so it may not be suitable for serious or professional players.
Overall, if you’re looking for a portable and easy-to-use chess clock with professional features, Fideliums Digital Chess Clock is a great choice. Just be aware of the battery requirements and durability concerns.
LEAP Chess Clock Fide Approved Digital Chess Timer Professional for Board Games Timer no Alarm Function (Official Store) Blue Fide Blue
If you’re looking for a reliable chess clock, the LEAP Chess Clock Fide Approved Digital Chess Timer Professional for Board Games Timer no Alarm Function (Official Store) Blue Fide Blue is a great choice.
- FIDE approved, making it a reliable choice for professional games
- Pre-programmed countdown timer with over 30 options
- Lightweight and durable design
- No alarm function, which may be a dealbreaker for some users
- Some users found the preset times to be limiting for regular play
- Can be confusing to set up initially
We found the LEAP Chess Clock to be a solid choice for chess players of all levels. Its FIDE approval gives us confidence in its accuracy, and the pre-programmed countdown timer options make it easy to use for a variety of games.
The clock’s lightweight and durable design make it easy to transport to games, and the simple button layout ensures that it’s easy to use even in the heat of competition. However, the lack of an alarm function may be a dealbreaker for some users who prefer a more audible reminder when time is running out.
Overall, we recommend the LEAP Chess Clock for anyone looking for a reliable and easy-to-use option for their chess games.
If you are looking for a high-quality chess clock, then the DGT3000 LE – Fide Approved Limited Edition Chess Timer is definitely worth considering.
- The Limited Edition has a beautiful wooden look.
- This special clock is only available in a limited quantity this year.
- The larger display with more information, seconds are shown from the start.
- Batteries included were leaking fluid.
- The buttons have a pretty noisy sound, they truly sound cheap.
- Made in China stuff does not last even for 3 months.
We have used this clock for several games and found it to be very reliable and easy to use. The wooden look of the Limited Edition is really eye-catching and adds a touch of elegance to any game. The larger display with more information is a great feature, and the fact that seconds are shown from the start is very useful.
One downside we noticed is that the batteries included were leaking fluid, which was a bit of a disappointment. Additionally, the buttons have a pretty noisy sound, which can be annoying if you are playing in a quiet environment. Finally, we have heard some complaints that this clock does not last very long, but we have not experienced any issues in our own use.
Overall, we would definitely recommend the DGT3000 LE – Fide Approved Limited Edition Chess Timer to anyone looking for a reliable and attractive chess clock. With its beautiful wooden look and user-friendly features, it is a great choice for players of all levels.
If you’re looking for a reliable and versatile chess clock, the LEAP Chess Clock is a great option.
- The clock is easy to set up and use, with a simple program design and large screen.
- It has multiple functions, including counting, countdown, bonus, delay, alarm, move counts, and setting memory.
- The clock is available for different types of games, including International Chess, Chinese Chess, I-GO, Scrabble, and more.
- Some users have reported issues with the mechanism for restarting the clock.
- The clock may not be as durable as some other models on the market.
- The clock’s design may not be as sleek or stylish as other options.
We’ve found that the LEAP Chess Clock is a reliable and easy-to-use option for chess enthusiasts of all skill levels. The clock’s multiple functions make it a versatile choice for different types of games, and its simple design makes it easy to program and adjust as needed.
One thing to keep in mind is that the clock may not be as durable as some other models on the market. While we haven’t experienced any issues with our clock, some users have reported problems with the mechanism for restarting the clock.
Overall, we would recommend the LEAP Chess Clock for anyone looking for a reliable and versatile chess timer. While it may not be the most stylish or durable option out there, it gets the job done and is a great value for the price.
If you’re looking for a reliable and easy-to-use chess clock, the Tempest Classic might be the perfect fit for you.
- No user manual required – easy to set up and use
- Dock and play – just download the app, dock your phone, and start playing
- Premium design and rugged build quality
- Lack of printed or online manual
- Can only register up to 10 phones
- Not suitable for tournament play
We’ve had the chance to test out the Tempest Classic, and we were impressed by how easy it was to set up and use. You don’t need to read any instructions – just swipe to set the clock for any game, including chess, go, backgammon, and Scrabble.
The app is available for both iOS and Android, and it’s free to download. Once you’ve downloaded it, just dock your phone and start playing. The clock is ultra-rugged, with a vegan leather touch surface, soft-touch padding, and zero-slip silicone underlay to keep your phone in place.
One thing to keep in mind is that the Tempest Classic is not suitable for tournament play. It’s designed for casual games and home use. Additionally, while the clock is easy to use, there is no printed or online manual, which might be a drawback for some users.
Overall, we think the Tempest Classic is a great choice for anyone looking for a reliable and easy-to-use chess clock. It’s also a great value, with a premium design and rugged build quality.
If you’re looking for an affordable chess clock that is easy to use and reliable, the Just E Joy Chess Clock is a great option.
- The quartz movement ensures accurate timing with an error of less than 1 second per day.
- The second hand design is unique and makes it easier to keep track of time.
- The larger base provides stability when placed on a desktop.
- The button design may not be suitable for those who prefer a heavier button press.
- The plastic material may not be as durable as other chess clocks made with metal.
- The clock requires a single AA battery, which is not included.
We found the Just E Joy Chess Clock to be a great value for its price. The quartz movement ensures accurate timing, and the second hand design is a nice touch. The larger base also provides stability when placed on a desktop, which is important during intense chess matches.
The button design is comfortable and easy to press, but some users may prefer a heavier button press. Additionally, the plastic material may not be as durable as other chess clocks made with metal. However, we did not experience any issues with the clock during our testing.
Overall, if you’re looking for an affordable chess clock that is easy to use and reliable, the Just E Joy Chess Clock is a great option. It’s suitable for international chess, Chinese chess, Weiqi, and other competitions.
If you’re looking for a reliable and affordable chess clock, the JIESENG Chess Clock is a great option to consider.
- Versatile: Suitable for a variety of two-player board games, including chess, I-GO, and Chinese Chess.
- Easy to Use: With various functions such as count-up and countdown, bonus and delay modes, and an audible alarm function that can be turned on or off, it’s perfect for beginners.
- Setting Memory: The chess clock allows you to set different bonus or delay times on both sides and has a setting memory function that displays the time you previously set when turned off and on again.
- Battery Not Included: You’ll need to purchase a 1x AA battery (1.5V) separately.
- Limited Features: While it has basic multifunction, it doesn’t have advanced features that some professional players may require.
- No Backlight: The LED screen isn’t backlit, so it may be difficult to read in low light conditions.
In our experience, the JIESENG Chess Clock is a reliable and durable product that offers great value for its price. It’s made of sturdy ABS plastic, ensuring it can withstand regular use. The flexible toggle button and large LED screen make it easy to use and view the time. Its portable design makes it convenient to take outside and play with friends.
Overall, if you’re looking for a chess clock that’s easy to use and offers basic functions, the JIESENG Chess Clock is a great choice. It’s suitable for both beginners and intermediate players, and its setting memory function makes it convenient to use. However, if you’re a professional player looking for advanced features, you may want to consider other options.
When it comes to choosing the best chess clock, there are several factors to consider. We’ve compiled a list of features to look for when selecting a chess clock that fits your needs.
Type of Chess Clock
There are two types of chess clocks: analog and digital. Analog clocks are the traditional style with two separate timers that you manually start and stop. Digital clocks are more modern and have a single timer that automatically switches between players.
Time Control Options
Different chess clocks offer different time control options. Some clocks allow for only one time control, while others offer multiple options. Common time control options include:
- Standard: Each player has a set amount of time to complete their moves.
- Incremental: Players gain a set amount of time for each move they make.
- Delay: A set amount of time is added to each player’s clock before the game starts.
Display and Sound
The display and sound of a chess clock can greatly affect the user’s experience. Look for a clock with a clear and easy-to-read display, and consider whether you prefer a clock with audible beeps or a silent option.
Chess clocks can be powered by batteries or an AC adapter. Consider which power source is most convenient for you and whether the clock has a battery-saving feature.
Some chess clocks come with additional features, such as a game timer, move counter, or a delay mode. Determine which features are important to you and whether they are included in your chosen clock.
By considering these factors, you can choose the best chess clock for your needs and enjoy a more efficient and enjoyable chess-playing experience.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the top-rated digital chess clocks?
There are several top-rated digital chess clocks in the market, including the DGT North American Chess Clock, the Chronos GX Chess Clock, and the ZMF-II Chess Timer. These clocks are highly recommended for their accuracy, durability, and ease of use.
Which chess clocks are FIDE approved?
FIDE, the international chess governing body, has approved several digital chess clocks, including the DGT 2010, the DGT 3000, and the DGT Pi. These clocks meet the strict standards set by FIDE for use in official tournaments.
What is the best budget chess clock?
For those on a budget, the LEAP PQ9907S Digital Chess Clock is a great option. It is affordable, easy to use, and has all the basic features required for a game of chess.
What are the most popular analog chess clocks?
The most popular analog chess clocks are the Saitek Competition Pro Game Clock, the BHB Special Mechanical Chess Clock, and the Garde Chess Clock. These clocks are highly regarded for their classic design and reliable performance.
What type of chess clock do professionals prefer?
Professional chess players generally prefer digital chess clocks due to their accuracy, ease of use, and ability to store multiple time controls. The DGT 3000 is a popular choice among professionals.
Are chess clocks worth investing in?
Chess clocks are an essential tool for serious chess players, and investing in a high-quality clock can greatly enhance the playing experience. A good chess clock can improve time management skills and add an extra level of excitement to the game.
Ready to take your chess game to A level?
Check out our recommended resources below that will help you take your chess game to the next level!
|101 Chess Tips that will Put You Ahead of Most People in Chess Game
|Best Chess Book for Beginners
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Chess Opening Book
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Book on Chess Endgame
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Chessboard for Self-learning
|Buy on Amazon
|Best Online Chess Courses
|Starting from Free